Skip to main content

Day 4&5: Winter Break 2011

Last Thursday, as I wrote in earlier posting, our plan for the day was to send off Keti and Ricad to SFO. However, we didn't plan to meet them at the airport, we're supposed to pick them up and help them with their baggage. Since they lived in Milpitas, my husband - who is currently working for a client in Milpitas - told me to go with him so that he didn't need to go back and forth. While he worked, I could enjoy myself in Milpitas library. So, that was what I did the whole noon from 2 p.m. to around 6 p.m.   


Often, people ask me how I can survive all day reading in the library. Hmmm, that's an easy one. I enjoy reading book a lot. It's a treat for me. When I was in Indo, I used to spend my money borrowing books from book rental. Although I think most private schools have library in Indo, I have never heard about their public library. Now in the US, I don't have to spend a dime! Can you imagine how happy I was when I first visited a library in the US? Not to mention that most of them have extensive book collections!


Anyway, I've been to several libraries in the US, but I think this one is the most beautiful and modern one. I like the architecture. It is so unique. If I just accidentally passing by, I don't think I could recognized this building as a library. 



Unlike San Jose city libraries, this library opens until 9 p.m. on Thursday. Cool! This is the picture of the entrance:



The interior is as beautiful as its exterior. This library is now the first on my favorite libraries in Bay Area. The runner-up is the library near Castro street, Mountain View. That library has a very sunny and relaxing quiet study room =) Anyway, after browsing for books to read, I settled down in this cozy lounge. This lounge was actually in the children area =P 




The next day, I finally went out and shopped. I didn't get my coffee / tea press tho'. I got a muffin pan and this cute thing:




Basically this is a plate where you can put your ladle or spatula while cooking. They have a stainless steel one, but somehow this cute one won my attention. 


Later, I also visited Trader Joe's and bought some organic chicken. There is a story behind this. When I ate chicken in the US, I somehow noted that they had this distinct smell. They smell awfully like chicken. I know this wasn't a good explanation but anyway, after watching "Food Inc." I came up with this hypothesis: Most chicken meat in the US are not fresh. They might have died a few month ago and was kept in the freezer. So ... maybe that's why they had that awful smell. I consulted one of my friend, and she mentioned about organic chicken, how they were treated differently and maybe also processed differently too. So I decided to try. They're so expensive! They better be good =P


At night, we had some friends visiting for dinner. I cooked Kari Ayam while one of our friends brought his Sop Merah. I think that was the first time I tasted sop merah. Not bad. Too sweet for my palate but I like the heartiness of the soup. 


So there goes my two days ... =( I want time to slow down a little bit ... i desperately need more holiday =P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TB Test Result

When I woke up in the morning last Thursday, the first thing I did was checked my hand. To my utmost horror ... It had became that big! Gosh ... the final result from the nurse was positive with 14 mm bump. So whether I want it or not, I need to go and get a chest X-ray =( PS : Btw, have I told you that this bump will stay for months? =( Oh, and it is starting to itch too ... =( UPDATES: The bump disappeared after a month or so. There is no scar whatsoever on my hand. I heard that a lot of people who were born in Asia usually get a positive result. It is because they had TB Vaccination while they were little. Anyway, I did get my chest X-ray. There is nothing to worry, everything is good =)

TB Test update

This is what it looks like after 36 hours : I really hope it could stay like this until tomorrow because I think this means I'm negative. *crossing my finger*

TB Test

One of the things that I hate the most in life is shot / injection. I think, I have a phobia for needle =P This phobia started a long time ago, back in my early childhood. I got typhoid or abdominal fever when I was three or four... and back then, their healing method was still traditional. They had to monitor the virus inside of me daily. So they took my blood every other day. This lasted for almost a month. Can you imagine the horror of this? Especially for a three or four-year old girl? Ever since that incident, needle has become my big enemy. Before I went to U.S. last year, I was forced to get an MMR shot. Oh, it was so scary. I remember I couldn't feel my knees soon after they gave me the shot. My knees became limp in such a short time! Anyway, after that injection the doctor gave me a note, like a proof for the injection. Through my agent, I sent that doctor's note to Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi. When I transferred to De Anza College, TAMUCC didn't for