Skip to main content

Spring Break - part II

A long due post about my cooking attempts during Spring Break.

This is the ingredient for "Quail soup" ... I got the idea from here. Since I didn't have chicken ready at that time (and to lazy to buy one =P), I substituted it with squid balls and meat balls! LOL That's something that I always have ready in my refrigerator.

I shaped the carrots like little flower. Eniwei, my substitution decision turned out to be a disaster. I forgot my husband doesn't even like the smell of squid balls. He complained that the soup tasted fishy =( Well for me, this was still a good soup, but I might be biased since I like all kind of soupy dishes. Next time, i will stay true to the original recipe and use chicken. I want to know the original taste. Oh, i forgot to take the finished picture =P

The second recipe here, come from a very talented little chef which happens to be our friend =)

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus 
Ingredients:
  • asparagus (2 stalks for 1 person) - (not too thick and not too thin)
  • bacon
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • olive oil
Direction:
  • Wash asparagus and dry with paper towel, cut the ends off.
  • Cut each asparagus in half
  • Sprinkle the asparagus with kosher salt, black pepper and drizzle with olive oil (don't put too much salt as bacon is salty)
  • Wrap two halves of asparagus (one whole stalk) with bacon, cut the bacon in half if it's too long, seam side down
  • Refrigerate until you're ready to fry it.
  • Drizzle the pan with olive oil and heat it over medium-high heat, put the bacon-wrapped asparagus, seam side down on the hot pan in one layer.
  • Don't move it around so get you get a nice caramelization and brown color. Turn it over once you get a nice color (only turn it once)
  • Transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate, cover with  al foil to keep it warm
these are pictures of my failed attempt LOL i somehow couldn't make them stay wrapped. The taste was still good though! =)

The wrapped asparagus drizzled with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper
  
Frying the asparagus
I honestly tried my best not to move them in the pan but still they unwrapped themselves to my disappointment =(

Only 5 out of so many, survived the pan battle =P
 That's all i tried to make during Spring Break. Most of them were tasty =) ... although they didn't look that good *hehe* Will try some recipe again if i have the time.

Comments

  1. Ver, bacon-nya ditusuk toothpick aja, biar ga kebuka. Ntr udah mateng baru dicabut :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo..thank you for the tips del. will definitely try it next time! =D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TB Test Result

When I woke up in the morning last Thursday, the first thing I did was checked my hand. To my utmost horror ... It had became that big! Gosh ... the final result from the nurse was positive with 14 mm bump. So whether I want it or not, I need to go and get a chest X-ray =( PS : Btw, have I told you that this bump will stay for months? =( Oh, and it is starting to itch too ... =( UPDATES: The bump disappeared after a month or so. There is no scar whatsoever on my hand. I heard that a lot of people who were born in Asia usually get a positive result. It is because they had TB Vaccination while they were little. Anyway, I did get my chest X-ray. There is nothing to worry, everything is good =)

TB Test update

This is what it looks like after 36 hours : I really hope it could stay like this until tomorrow because I think this means I'm negative. *crossing my finger*

TB Test

One of the things that I hate the most in life is shot / injection. I think, I have a phobia for needle =P This phobia started a long time ago, back in my early childhood. I got typhoid or abdominal fever when I was three or four... and back then, their healing method was still traditional. They had to monitor the virus inside of me daily. So they took my blood every other day. This lasted for almost a month. Can you imagine the horror of this? Especially for a three or four-year old girl? Ever since that incident, needle has become my big enemy. Before I went to U.S. last year, I was forced to get an MMR shot. Oh, it was so scary. I remember I couldn't feel my knees soon after they gave me the shot. My knees became limp in such a short time! Anyway, after that injection the doctor gave me a note, like a proof for the injection. Through my agent, I sent that doctor's note to Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi. When I transferred to De Anza College, TAMUCC didn't for