Lately, life has gotten tougher. Well, the school is almost ends, and I have yet to find out what to do after. My primary plan is to get a job. I just learned that it's not an easy plan ...
Anyway, in the midst of life challenges, I want to take time to re-focus my way of thinking. When life is difficult, it is so easy to become bitter. Instead of complaining, maybe I should count my blessing so that I can see the full picture. I know I have been blessed enormously ... I should not forget that. In my daily bible reading, there is this challenge to make a list of 10 things that I'm grateful for. I hope by doing this I can find encouragement to face my daily struggles.
1. I'm grateful that I have a loving husband. We met through a miraculous way. I believe God created him for me :) Right now, he is my primary source of support and comfort. I love the fact that he always encourages me to pursue my dream. I can go on and on ranting about how I love him but I think I better stop now :p
2. I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to study abroad. Ever since I was little, I always want to study abroad. I want to see the different culture ... I want to feel what it's like to have international friends... to communicate in different language and to hear different point of views. I understand that to be able to pursue a Master's degree in the U.S. is a privilege from God. That is why I cherish this opportunity and strive to learn as much as I can.
3. I'm grateful that God provides us with a place to live. I love my small apartment. This is my first place ... When we first moved, I was so excited. "Everything" in this small place is ours. I also had so much fun decorating the small space. I thank God for giving us this comfortable place.
4. I'm grateful for our Indonesian community here in San Jose. When you're so far away from home, friends are sometimes closer than family. Basically your friends are your family. I thank God for providing us with this support network. Without them, living so far away from home would be unbearable.
5. To continue #4, I'm also thankful for the Indonesian Church that we have here in San Jose. Although I'm so far away from home, I'm still able to worship God and listen to His word every week. I thank God for providing me with this community where I can grow in my faith in Him.
6. I'm grateful that I almost finish my MBA program. It is only by God's grace I'm able to survive this accelerated One-Year MBA program. If I look back, I'm so amazed at what God enabled me to do throughout this one year. There were times when I felt it was impossible, but I learned one more time how true this saying was: "with God, nothing is impossible!"
7. I'm grateful for my new laptop! :) It has longer battery life, so now I can study at Starbucks without worrying for power outlet :p
8. I'm grateful for the house-boating holiday last weekend and the LA trip next weekend. I thank God for giving us this holiday so that we can escape our daily routine for a while. I wish we could come back refreshed and ready for whatever challenges that await us :p
9. I'm grateful for our health. For me, health is the #1 thing. No matter how rich you are, if you're not healthy then you can't do anything. You can't even enjoy your life. I thank God for giving us good health so that we can live and serve him.
10. I'm grateful for the food that we have in our table everyday. I thank God for giving a job to my husband so that he can provides for our little family. I know there are a lot of people out there that need food so badly. It is a luxury to be able to eat "whatever" we want.
So there it is. My list of 10 things that I'm grateful for. It is not ALL that I'm grateful for though. There are a lot of things that are not mentioned in the list. Anyway, I wish this list can be a source of comfort for everyone out there that is in the middle of life challenges. This list greatly reminds me that God has done a lot for me and His hand is still working in my life. Right now we can't see what it is, but just trust Him because He knows what is best for us.
"“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" II corinthians 12:9a