Skip to main content

LA Weekend Trip - October 2012

Two weeks ago, we had a short weekend trip to LA to attend our friends' wedding party. We went there with quite a few of good friends. We rented two mini-vans and three hotel rooms to accommodate all 12 of us. It was a fun, but nevertheless very tiring trip. My husband was sick the day after we got back to San Jose. I quickly followed =( We took medication and actually are getting better by now.

Anyway, forget the sad story and let's move on to the detail of our trip.

On Friday, we departed from San Jose around 6 PM-ish. Fortunately, the traffic was good. We made a quick dinner stop at Gilroy Premium Outlet. Too bad, I didn't have time to check any shop =P We arrived around 11.30 PM at our hotel near LAX area. This time, we stayed at Courtyard by Marriott. Personally, I wasn't very satisfied with the hotel. 

Our rooms weren't close to each other. Some were located in the left wing while others were in the right wing. To go to the other wing, we have to go through the lobby in the main floor. To make it worse, our rooms were in the second and third floor. So we had to take elevator to go down to lobby and then another elevator at the other wing to get to the other rooms. After going back and forth, we finally settled down for the night. 

Next morning, we went for an early lunch. For me, personally, a trip to LA is never complete without Indonesian foods =) That morning we decided to go to an Indonesian restaurant called Kalimantan (or Borneo). We ate scrumptious Indonesian noodles and other Indonesian dishes. The noodles were super good, and it truly reminded me of home.      

Mie Hakka
Hubby enjoyed his noodle
 Kwetiaw Goreng 
Next to the restaurant was a small garden with fountain. We couldn't resist the urge to take picture =P


Love this candid shoot of us walking to the parking lot =)


After lunch we went to the nearby Half & Half for dessert. I love their taro milk tea with honey boba. 


They have irregular sizing. Their regular one is the stumpy one in the middle. Volume wise, it is pretty big. Too bad it couldn't fit into car's regular cup holders.


Afterward, we rushed back to the hotel to get ready for the afternoon wedding. When we were getting ready, we realized that our hotel actually lacked mirror (big time!). It was already difficult for 4 ladies to get ready for a wedding party in such a short time. Even worse, we have to cram in one corner of the bathroom because our one and only mirror was there =( Nevertheless, we managed to get ready ... although we were a little bit late =P

don't we all look pretty? =)
With my pretty doctor friend =)
Hubby and I 
Me and my personal beauty guru <3
After the wedding reception, we decided to make a quick visit to the lamps outside of LACMA. Too bad there was a big event that night. Suddenly, my hubby turned into an instant paparazzi. He eagerly stood behind the crowd with his phone, trying to catch a glimpse of the celebrities. Unfortunately, he didn't get any clear shot of the celebrities.

  
Before we left, I insisted on taking a picture with the beautiful lamps. We couldn't get any closer to the lamps so I had to settle for this one grainy and dark shot *sigh*
Unsatisfied with our LACMA experience, we decided to visit an ice cream shop nearby. From what i heard, the ice cream place was pretty famous for its ice cream sandwich. Unfortunately, i'm not a cookie person ... so instead we got a cup of regular ice cream. To our surprise, the price was pretty decent. I was quite happy with my ice cream until I found out that it was actually Dreyer's. I'm not saying that Dreyer's ice cream is not good ...  It's just that I can go to Safeway for it and not this particular ice cream place.

Rocky Road ... no wonder the taste is so familiar =P
The next morning, as expected, we woke up pretty late. We checked out from the hotel and headed to Momiji, a sushi place in Duarte. The owners are Indonesian. We heard that their food are good ... well, for me it was fantastic! The portion is good, and the price is cheap considering its quality. What amazed me the most was its sashimi. I'm usually indifferent with sashimi, but theirs was remarkable. I could feel that the fish were really fresh. 


Amazing Yellowtail Yuzu
They have plenty variation of rolls too. My favorite is Mikey's Lobster Roll. It was out of this world! Seriously. They generously put tons of fried lobster chunk on top of that roll. 


Mikey's Lobster Roll
If you're ever in Duarte, LA, please do yourself a favor and visit Momiji. Ask the friendly waiter for recommendation, they have a lot of "secret" menu =) More pictures of the food. Oops, I'm suddenly hungry =P 


Spider Roll
Yellowtail Kama with Ponzu sauce, my husband's favorite
Spicy Tuna with Pear, topped with crunchy deep fried onion
My second favorite, Chilean Sea Bass
911 - Hot and Spicy
Their Newest Menu, Gangnam Burrito
Overall it was a nice trip. My definition of a nice trip is a trip full of good food *LOL* I personally can hardly wait to visit Momiji again =)
   
PS: Some pictures above are courtesy of my friend, Ms. Tan.  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TB Test Result

When I woke up in the morning last Thursday, the first thing I did was checked my hand. To my utmost horror ... It had became that big! Gosh ... the final result from the nurse was positive with 14 mm bump. So whether I want it or not, I need to go and get a chest X-ray =( PS : Btw, have I told you that this bump will stay for months? =( Oh, and it is starting to itch too ... =( UPDATES: The bump disappeared after a month or so. There is no scar whatsoever on my hand. I heard that a lot of people who were born in Asia usually get a positive result. It is because they had TB Vaccination while they were little. Anyway, I did get my chest X-ray. There is nothing to worry, everything is good =)

TB Test update

This is what it looks like after 36 hours : I really hope it could stay like this until tomorrow because I think this means I'm negative. *crossing my finger*

TB Test

One of the things that I hate the most in life is shot / injection. I think, I have a phobia for needle =P This phobia started a long time ago, back in my early childhood. I got typhoid or abdominal fever when I was three or four... and back then, their healing method was still traditional. They had to monitor the virus inside of me daily. So they took my blood every other day. This lasted for almost a month. Can you imagine the horror of this? Especially for a three or four-year old girl? Ever since that incident, needle has become my big enemy. Before I went to U.S. last year, I was forced to get an MMR shot. Oh, it was so scary. I remember I couldn't feel my knees soon after they gave me the shot. My knees became limp in such a short time! Anyway, after that injection the doctor gave me a note, like a proof for the injection. Through my agent, I sent that doctor's note to Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi. When I transferred to De Anza College, TAMUCC didn't for