Skip to main content

What to pack for Hospital Bag - 2nd Baby Edition

As I'm getting closer to the last stretch of my third trimester, one necessary task to accomplish in my to-do list is packing a hospital bag. It took me a while this time around to pack everything up. Since it has been 4 years from my last pregnancy, I found that there are numerous new baby items on the market. So before I created my list, I did my research either by reading what other moms bring to the hospital nowadays (especially during COVID situation) and watching youtube videos. I think I spent at least a week just for the research but it was fun!


To make it easy, I always think of these three components when packing the hospital bag:
  1. What we need for the baby
  2. What we need for the mom
  3. What we need for the spouse
One key difference this time around, I definitely put more emphasis on finding items that mom needs. I remember on my first pregnancy, most of the items I packed were for the baby instead. Can you believe I brought an entire pack of Newborn size diapers just to find the hospital actually provided diapers? :)

Before we begin, please note that this list of items reflected my personal preferences and were based on my own experience during my first pregnancy. I'm trying to be more minimalistic this time around, and only include things that I know I will use or I missed and wished I had from my first experience. Going back to being minimalistic, I tried to put all the items in one carry on luggage. I like bringing a luggage instead of a duffel style bag just because it is more convenient.  

So let's start with what we need for the baby!



This time around I still packed a couple diapers. The hospital usually provided enough for use during the stay, but just in case on the way back home we have poo "accident" - we will still have our own diapers handy! I also packed some size 1 diapers, since I don't know if the baby will be petite like Grace or bigger. For diapers I like the honest brand for it's cute prints, softness and eco-friendly materials. Grace had very few diaper rashes and I attributed that success to Honest diapers :)

The other notable item that I added to my list this time is photo props. I saw Annie from the StylishPetite blog use a felt board with her daughter name and date of birth for the pregnancy announcement photo and instantly fell in love with the idea. I figured I can also use that felt board multiple times - for the weekly baby photos for example, so it's justifiable from use vs cost perspective.

For baby's going home outfit, I prepared two onesies with different sizes. Knowing how fragile a newborn neck is, I particularly like onesies with side opening like this one here or here. I also like the fact that the Carters onesies come with build in mittens. H&M has organic newborn clothing range with really good materials that feels so soft to the skin. It's interesting how H&M's 0-1 month size is much smaller than Carter's newborn size. Another important point to note for FTM - different brands different sizes!



For moms - I added a bunch of postpartum care items. On my first pregnancy, I was so clueless. A couple hours after I delivered my baby, the nurse let me go to the restroom to clean myself up. They taught me how to clean myself using a squirt bottle and build a postpartum pad with multiple layers of witch hazel pads, ice pack, etc. I actually asked the hospital if I can get extras of those necessities to continue my postpartum care at home and they were kind enough to let me take it. 

Items I included in my list this time around (I link it to make it easier in case you want to get the same items):
  • Hospital robe. I plan to use this after I deliver to nurse and have skin to skin with the baby. On my first pregnancy I thought it wasn't really necessary to bring my own robe (since it will be dirty anyways) but after the delivery I really disliked walking around in the robe provided by the hospital since I had to use my hand to close the open back all the time. I bought this one from post peanut and love how soft the material is.
  • Fluffy socks. I still remember how cold my feet were while lying down waiting for the dilation to reach 10 cm... especially after the doctor broke my amniotic sack. I bought this pack from Amazon.
  • Depends incontinence pads. Hospital provided mesh undies but since I'm on the petite side, the undies was far too big for me (not to mention it was very heavy due to the postpartum items). Also heard other moms recommend Always.
  • Nursing friendly change of clothes. I like these nursing tank-tops from Amazon.
  • Nursing Bras. I like the one H&M has on their maternity line but somehow it was out of stock since I bought it back in February so I ended up purchasing these from Amazon instead. 
  • Nipple balm. I used Lansinoh's lanolin balm last time so I repurchased those.
  • Nursing pads. Most likely I won't need it but just in case. I like these Hey Mama ones - my office used to provide these nursing pads in our company's Mothers' room.
  • Toiletries - I plan to observe the Chinese tradition of postpartum care so not bringing too much here only things needed to freshen up such as face wash, dry shampoo, toothbrush, tooth paste and mouthwash. I also don't bring make up, only packing necessities like moisturizer, lip balm and eyebrow pencil.
  • Frida mom peri bottle
  • Hair bands
  • Hair brush
  • Flip flop
  • Water bottle with a spout
  • Travel size hand sanitizers and antibacterial hand wipes
  • Snacks
  • Technology - charger (or power bank) & phone
  • IDs and paperworks
Last, but not least - these are what I packed for my husband:

  • Change of clothes (with a spare)
  • Socks
  • Snacks
  • Toiletries
  • Technology - phone & charger
You might notice there's no camera in the list, but again that's personal preference. My husband is really not into photography, so I'm usually the one who is taking picture and holding camera. However, looking from my first experience (where I was mostly asleep after getting my epidural) I don't think I will be able to take many pictures of myself or the baby anyways - and iPhone camera quality is sufficient for both of us.

I hope this is useful for you - if there's a must have items in your hospital bag checklist that I don't include, please share!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TB Test Result

When I woke up in the morning last Thursday, the first thing I did was checked my hand. To my utmost horror ... It had became that big! Gosh ... the final result from the nurse was positive with 14 mm bump. So whether I want it or not, I need to go and get a chest X-ray =( PS : Btw, have I told you that this bump will stay for months? =( Oh, and it is starting to itch too ... =( UPDATES: The bump disappeared after a month or so. There is no scar whatsoever on my hand. I heard that a lot of people who were born in Asia usually get a positive result. It is because they had TB Vaccination while they were little. Anyway, I did get my chest X-ray. There is nothing to worry, everything is good =)

TB Test update

This is what it looks like after 36 hours : I really hope it could stay like this until tomorrow because I think this means I'm negative. *crossing my finger*

Orlando / Florida Visit General Tips

Hi everyone!  I just got back from my Orlando, Florida trip. It was super fun! I am trying to write in detail about the park that we visited and the rides that we took .. however, as usual it will take some time before the posts are ready. Yes, I will divide the Florida trip stories into several posts.  Meanwhile, here are some general tips for visiting theme parks in Orlando, Florida. Let me start with where to stay. I don't remember if I have mentioned about this before in my previous posts ... So, basically I bought the theme parks vacation deal from Costco Travel. I did try to purchase the trip separately (hotel, car, theme parks tickets, and plane tickets) on several different travel websites like Expedia, Hotwire, Kayak, etc. However, I found that the price difference was really small. So we decided to skip all the hassle and just purchased the whole vacation package from Costco.  Costco gave us different total price depending on how long we stay and where we stay. If I